How Much Does HVAC Repair and Maintenance Cost?
The average cost of HVAC repairs and maintenance isn’t easy to determine. Anytime you need to contact an HVAC technician for repairs, you’ll be looking at an average bill of around $350, but it can cost more without regular maintenance. In this guide, we’ll break down the factors that go into HVAC repair costs.
Whether you’re looking to improve the airflow in your Santa Clarita home or office, this guide will help you budget for the costs involved.
- How Much Does HVAC Repair Cost?
- Breakdown of HVAC Repair Cost by Parts
- How Much Does HVAC Maintenance Cost?
- Breakdown of HVAC Maintenance Cost by Type of Unit
- The Cost of HVAC Maintenance by Repair Type
- What is Done During an HVAC Maintenance?
- What are the Benefits of Regular HVAC Maintenance?
- How to Save Money on HVAC Repairs and Maintenance
- Call Hilo Aire when you need HVAC Repair or Maintenance in Santa Clarita!
How Much Does HVAC Repair Cost?
HVAC repair can cost anywhere from $75 to $1,500. The repair costs are determined by the price of the parts plus the amount of time the repair is expected to take. Always compare the price of repairs to that of replacement. You should consider upgrading your entire unit if your HVAC repair is expected to set you back above $1500.
When requesting a quotation for HVAC repairs in Santa Clarita, it may be helpful to bear in mind that you should consider the following in the calculations:
- Labor costs
- Replacement parts
- Travel costs
- Refrigerant costs for re-gassing
- Reclaim Cylinders (for disposing of refrigerant no longer required)
Breakdown of HVAC Repair Cost by Parts
An air conditioning unit has four main parts: the evaporator, the condenser, the compressor, and the expansion valve. The most expensive part to repair or replace is the air compressor. Depending on the age of your AC unit, it might be worth considering replacing the AC unit altogether. Generally, it would be best to do this every 10-15 years.
Other parts, such as the air filters, are much cheaper to replace, and you should do this at least six times a year to keep the air clean, especially if you have pets.
These are indicative figures. Your local air conditioning contractor should be able to provide a fixed cost. (Inclusive of parts and labor)
- Circuit Board between $100-$600
- Fan Motor between $200-$700
- AC between $3,800-$7,500
- Furnace between $2,600-$6,200
- Ductwork between $500-$2,000
- Compressor between $750-$2,000
- Evaporator Coil between $400-$1,000
- Condenser Coil between $500-$1,500
- TXV/TEV between $100-$500
If you need more than one of these services in one service call, the costs can add up fast. Therefore, you should consider signing up for preventive maintenance. Schedule preventative maintenance with Hilo Aire today!
How Much Does HVAC Maintenance Cost?
HVAC maintenance costs usually depend on the required repairs and the size and extent of the maintenance. On the low end, for an annual maintenance visit, you would pay between $75 and $200. On the high end, a yearly service agreement that includes bi-annual maintenance should set you back around $550.
A quarterly maintenance plan should cost you between $365 to $700. Such a plan is a good option if you have an older system you’re trying to keep working.
Get your quote on HVAC maintenance today by calling (888) 445-6247!
Breakdown of HVAC Maintenance Cost by Type of Unit
» Split or mini-split
Split or mini-split are popular for buildings without existing ductwork. These systems consist of one or more indoor heating and cooling units connected to an outdoor unit. The maintenance cost for these units is between $200 and $550
» Hybrid split
Hybrid split systems are similar to split systems, with the only exception being that they can choose between gas and electric-powered heat. These units cost an average of $200 to $300 for maintenance.
Furnace maintenance costs may be slightly higher at $100 to $200, especially if you’re using a gas-fueled unit. This is because the burners and valves need to be inspected and cleaned during a maintenance call.
» Heat pump system
The main difference between a furnace and a heat pump is that heat pumps don’t generate heat. They instead use electricity and refrigerant to draw outside air into the home. A heat pump can also remove hot air from the inside during the summer. Maintenance on the heat pump system costs $290 to $550.
» Packaged heating and air system
This unit comprises a single unit, usually installed outdoors on a rooftop. These systems are often more expensive to inspect and clean due to their compactness and complexity. Their maintenance cost ranges between $450–$550.
- Air conditioner between $70–$200
- Furnace between $70–$200
- Split system between $200–$300
- Duct-free (mini-split) between 300–$550
- Hybrid split system between $200–$300
- Heat pump between $75–$150
- Packaged heating and air between $450–$550
The Cost of HVAC Maintenance by Repair Type
An air conditioning system has many complex parts, so AC maintenance covers a variety of potential problems. The standard tune-up cost will usually cover checks and adjustments to the working parts. If anything needs further repair, replacement, or cleaning, you’ll have to pay a higher price for the service.
- AC installation between $3,250–$12,600
- AC tune-up between $70–$200
- Capacitor replacement between $100–$250
- Coil replacement between $600–$2,400
- Compressor replacement between $800–$3,000
- Condensate drain line cleaning between $75–$200
- Duct cleaning between $250–$1,000
- Ductwork repair between $500–$2,000
- Evaporator and condenser coil cleaning between $50–$350
- Fan motor replacement between $100–$700
- Mini-split installation between $2,000–$14,500
- Refrigerant leaks between $250–$1,500
- Refrigerant recharge between $100–$500
- Thermostat replacement between $50–$500
What is Done During an HVAC Maintenance?
While HVAC maintenance might include different things based on your system, a basic maintenance check-up includes preventative procedures such as a thorough cleaning, inspection, and lubrication of all parts and components and a complete check on the system’s performance.
Exactly what gets done depends on the HVAC contractor you choose. However, typical tasks include:
- Air filter cleaning or replacement
- Calibrating the thermostat
- Checking for mold and mildew
- Coil cleaning
- Lubricating moving parts
- Flushing the condensation lines
- Inspecting the blower motor
- Testing electrical connections
- Inspecting electrical parts
- Inspecting fan blades and valves
- Cleaning the ductwork
- Refilling refrigerant levels
- Inspect the drain pan and drain tube
What are the Benefits of Regular HVAC Maintenance?
The benefits of an air conditioning service are that the unit will perform more efficiently, and any problems will be spotted early, which could save you money in the long run.
Regular HVAC Maintenance is more cost-effective in the long run for several reasons, which include:
- Reduced repair costs
- Prolonged system life
- Lower energy bills
- Fewer breakdowns
- Improved safety for you and your family
- Better indoor air quality
How to Save Money on HVAC Repairs and Maintenance
Are you on a budget? Do you want to find ways to save money on your HVAC maintenance? If so, there are several things you can do to reduce wear and tear on your furnace and air conditioner, reducing the need for repairs on your system.
» For HVAC Repairs
- Buy a quality furnace and air conditioner
- Keep system parts clean
- Regularly change the air filter
- Get regular tune-ups
- Insulate and weather strip your home
» For HVAC Maintenance
- Adjust your thermostat
- Get multiple quotes for HVAC maintenance
Routine preventative maintenance on your HVAC system is the best way to avoid needing HVAC repair in Santa Clarita homes. Quit searching for “HVAC maintenance services near me” and contact Hilo Aire to schedule an HVAC service.
Call Hilo Aire when you need HVAC Repair or Maintenance in Santa Clarita!
No AC runs smoothly and without issue forever, so when yours is acting up, you can rely on our HVAC specialists at Hilo Aire to help you beat the heat. We have everything you need to ensure that your cooling and heating system performs optimally.
Call us at (888) 445-6247 to request an estimate for HVAC services in Santa Clarita, San Fernando, and Ventura County!